One of the most important page on your business website is the ‘’about page’’ but unfortunately it is the most neglected. If it is given the right attention your online business will be better for it.
Understanding the About Page
The ‘’about page’’ is where your prospects come to meet you. They want to know who they are sending their details or money to. They want to know you. People do business with people not with objects like your website.
On your ‘’about page’’ is where you have the opportunity to impress your visitor and stamp your personality and uniqueness on their mind. This is where you stamp on their hearts and minds what you want them to leave your website with.
Every other page on your business website is commercial, this is the only place where you can get personal with your prospects. This is where they feel your person and the humanity behind the business and product.
Stories are a powerful way we connect with ourselves as humans this is where you can freely tell your story and ignite a bond between you and your customers, your brand and your customers.
You converse heart to heart with your customers here. This is a page that must be off business but when people connect with you here vitally they will always want to do business with you. This is a page to foster a connection and a vital relationship.
People come to an ‘’about page’’ because they want to clear their doubts, concerns and fears. It’s an opportunity for you to answer their questions and clear every psychological resistance they may have landed on your page with. This is a page where you win hearts not just customers.
Facts about your ‘’About Page”
- It is the second most visited page after the ‘’home page’’ of most business websites.
- It can be a source of huge organic traffic if well optimized
- It has the highest bounce rate. You can change this for your business website.
- It is a great source of conversion if well utilized
Why Care About Your “About Page”
- Your customers do, that’s why they look for it and check it out.
- People buy from people not web-pages. They want to know who they are about to go into business with.
- Your competitors do.
- Branding begins here. People buy brands not products.
- A great place to sell without sounding salesy.
- It increases conversion
- Every page on your website is important
- It’s your business #1 PR officer. Your 24/7/365 faithful PR man.
- You build confidence and trust with your customers here.
- Where you tell the world who you are and what you do. Sell yourself and your brand.
- It’s a great source of organic traffic. When people search your name or business name Google brings them to your “about us” page.
- What is worth doing is worth doing well. So if you must have an ‘’about us” page why not have a great one.
Essentials of an “About Us” Page
- What is in it for the customer The page should tell the customer what exactly they stand to benefit from you and your company. Customers only get on the wagon for what they will get. Your ‘about us’ page is a good place to tell them exactly what is their cut.
- A Strong Value Proposition
How does your brand and business sole problems? And exactly what problem do you and your business solve?
- Your Only Factor
How is your product or service different?
-Why are you better than the others?
-Why should I do business with you and not your competitor?
-How is your delivery different?
-Why are you in business?
- Your Story. It should answer questions like the following:
-Who are you?
-What is your mission?
-What is your vision?
-What you do?
-What is your history?
-What are your stats and figures?
-What are you Offering?
Don’t leave it open. What is the one thing you want the reader to do at the end of conversing with you on this page? What is you Call-to-Action?
The page should have a clear cut objective. Your readers should not guess it. It should be loud and strong.
Questions Your “About Page” Must Answer
- Who are you?
- Why are you in business?
- Why are you different?
- How old is your business?
- What are your core values?
- Are you trustworthy?
Tips to Consider When Writing ‘’About Pages’’
- Use facts not hype
- Inspire trust and crucify doubts and fears
- Get personal. Be human
- Use a benefit driven headline and sub headlines
- Use testimonial if need be
- Use color sparingly
- Use supporting images if need be
- Converse with your visitor. Don’t talk at them talk with them.
- Use bullet points
How Long It Be
It should not be wordy or fluffy. But inspiring, captivating and persuasive. Every word should count. 300 – 500 words is good.
I wrote this blog post to help you write a great ‘about us’ page for your business or company. Now go and write or optimize it with this guide.